Thursday, March 4, 2010

1 Week Old

It's hard to believe that it's already been one week since we went to the hospital and our sweet angel was born. I know it's only a week, but it makes me sad...I feel like she's already getting to old. She's taught us a few things about taking care of a newborn in the past week. Nate has learned that when bringing Ava into the bathroom for her bath that he should wait to take her diaper off until he reaches the bathroom. Last night I was running her bath water and he brought her in. All of a sudden he's yelling that she's peeing. There he stood with pee running down his arms and his shirt. I had to laugh. And I've learned that when she poops, she may need a few minutes to finish up. During her 3:30 am feeding the other night we went through 4 diapers in 20 minutes. Lessons learned!

Ava had a visit from a home care nurse on Tuesday. This is something that I had requested upon leaving the hospital, just for piece of mind. The nurse was concerned that she may be a bit jaundice so we moved our doctor's appt. up to Wednesday instead of today. I was glad that we did, since she had been sleeping so much (a blessing and a curse, since I worry about everything) I was worried that her bili level might be high. Unfortunately our pediatrician was in Hudson, WI that day so Ava had her first out of state trip yesterday. Nate was not impressed that her first trip out of state was to WI. Anyway, we met our pediatrician and I absolutely love her. They checked Ava's bili level and it came back at 11, which was not concerning to the Dr. We did however do a little sunbathing in the window for the past couple of days just to help (since her level was 5.4 at the hospital). She did wake up a couple of times for feedings last night (the previous two nights I had to wake her up). So, I'm hoping that we might just be blessed with a beautiful little girl who likes to sleep at night. Nate has been very lucky, as he has not had to get out of bed in the middle of the night since she has come home.

The sun has been shining here and the temps are right around 40 degrees. We decided that most of the ice had melted on the streets so we loaded Ava up in the "Baby Bjorn" and headed out for our first walk around the block tonight. It was so nice for me to get some fresh air. She slept through the whole thing, and stayed nice and warm against Nate's chest, covered by his coat. She was also sporting her bear hat that Mike & Kristi gave her. I'll be looking forward to more warm weather so we can spend more time outside.

Getting ready for Ava's first walk outside today





No comments:

Post a Comment