Monday, April 11, 2011

The little black dress

We have a a couple of weddings coming up this spring/summer so I've been looking for a dress. Now I have not purchased a new dress for a very long time, since before having Ava. So, off to the mall I went with Ava & Grandma V a couple of weeks ago. Well, we thought we hit the jackpot and home I came with a new black dress and accessories to boot. Excited to show Nate my new purchase I put it on and go downstairs expecting a nice reaction. He sits in his chair, looks at me for awhile, and then says, "it's not my favorite". I instantly deflate and go upstairs to change. He wants to know what that "thing" is on the side of the dress. The "thing" that he's referring to would be a ruffle. When I ask what else he doesn't like he says that he doesn't like the color, stating, "should you really wear black to a wedding". I guess he wants me to find something with some color. So, back to the mall we go today. I try on some "color" but none of the dresses are flattering. I settle on another black dress that is actually cheaper and doesn't have any "things" (aka ruffles). I get home once again somewhat pleased with myself that I found a descent dress for a fraction of the cost of the first one. So, downstairs I go again with the new dress. Nate sits in his chair, looks at me for awhile and says, "I like it better because it doesn't have all that "stuff" (aka ruffles). "But it's not my favorite, it's still a black dress. You could find one with some spring colors". So, being self-conscious about the weight that I've put on since I stopped breastfeeding I've concluded that...

1. He thinks that I look like an 18 wheeler with a "wide load" sign on my back, but just doesn't want to say that. Instead he just says, "it's not my favorite" or

2.. He wants me to dress like an Easter egg with "spring colors" or

3. I'm just being overly sensitive about the whole thing.

I've decided that it must be 1 or 2. Me be overly sensitive? I think not! :)

On another note Ava had a very busy weekend while I was at work. She was initially supposed to go and watch Daddy run a 5K Saturday morning but he was unable to run due to his fall a few weeks back. She spent the morning practicing walking behind her little car that flips into a push car instead. Daddy got a video of it, but unfortunately I still can't figure out how to get videos on here! She definitely can't walk on her own, but I think she'll have it down before the end of the month. As for now, her feet are a little crazy and she sticks her butt out so far that she sometimes drops to her knees. At least she's actually attempting to walk now. Even last week I would stand her up behind it and she would just sit back down.

Saturday afternoon/evening Ava got to go to see Uncle Wes at his place. They took a walk to the park, and from what I hear Ava loved the slide. Sunday morning it was off to church and then over to Grandma & Grandpa V's. They watched Ava while Daddy & Uncle Wes hit some golf balls.

Today Ava was a bit fussy. I can't decide if it's because of teething or if she has an ear infection. I truly believe that all parents should be given an otoscope when they discharge from the hospital after giving birth, and be instructed on how to use it and distinguish between a normal eardrum and an infected one. This would cut down on so many trips to the Dr's office! She's been "irritable", pulling at her ears (don't know if it's from an infection or pain from teething), has a runny nose, a harsh cough, and now the yucky gunky eyes. Poor thing! I truly can't wait for those tubes! We have her pre-op physical next Monday so at least she'll see a Dr. before we head to IA for Easter and can treat an infection if she has one. I'm also hoping that her hemoglobin has come up from her last visit. We'll be rechecking that next Monday.

I picked up an evening shift tomorrow so Grandma will be coming over in the afternoon to watch Ava for a couple of hours. Hopefully Ava will be feeling better. This is her little car that she sometimes rides on, but it also converts into her little push toy that she's been walking behind. "Are you kidding me?!? They hung up on me!" This would be Ava's wide open mouth laugh. Sometimes it sounds more like a cackle.

2 comments:

  1. Steph--Just wanted to tell you that I'm wearing a black dress to a wedding in June. :) Pass that onto your hubbie! :) And I would love to be able to check my kid's ears at home..great idea! Hope Ava feels better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure you look beautiful in both dresses, black is just fine for a June wedding! :) Ava is growing up so fast, good luck with the tubes, they were a life saver for us with Bella :)

    ReplyDelete