Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Bye bye boobies

Tonight was Ava's last night of breastfeeding. She has had a very decreased appetite with this ear infection and hasn't been drinking much milk at her bedtime feeding. I figured that since she's a year old next week (and that's when I planned on stopping breastfeeding) that this would be the best time to completely wean the breastfeeding since my body isn't producing much due to her minimal intake. Believe me, we have Plenty stored in the freezer to last her well past her first year of life. I actually looked into donating some of it, but it is quite the process.

The whole thing is kind of bitter sweet. I have waited for the day that we wouldn't be attached for every feeding (especially when she was a newborn and feeding every 2 1/2 hours). But it was also a special time that was just her and me. I am so grateful that I was able to do it, and for so long. The freedom will be nice...no more finding a place to feed her in public or packing the pump for a night away. However, it's one more reminder that she's more of a toddler than a baby now.

I've been reflecting a lot over the past week, as her birthday approaches. Thinking about the excitement and anticipation that we were feeling a year ago. I remember her birthday like it was yesterday...every single detail! We still have that excitement and anticipation, but it's about different things...eating solids, crawling, standing, soon it will be walking. This past year really has flown by, and she has changed so much. I look back with a little bit of sadness that my baby will soon be a toddler, but also with a lot of happiness. What wonderful memories we have made! I have been so lucky to work only part time and get to spend those extra days with her. Even though it's sometimes more exhausting than going to work, I have to remind myself how quickly the days go by and how quickly she changes and grows.

Ok, I'm going to wrap this up before I get even more sappy. Like I said...it's bitter sweet!

1 comment: