Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Grant turns 1

This past week has been quite busy with lots of celebrating. Tuesday evening Nate and I were able to go out for a nice dinner at Fogo de Chao with a couple of friends.  We got a sitter for the kids (a rare thing since it's not cheap) and went out with our friends Brian and Marissa.  We used our 6 year wedding anniversary as an excuse to go out.  I was working a 12 hr shift on our actual anniversary.  We had a great time and enjoyed some good food. 

Wednesday Grant turned 1.  I'm not going to lie, it was kind of an emotional day for me.  I'm excited to see him and grow and learn new things every day.  On the other hand, he's my baby and I can't believe that it's already been a year since he made our family complete.  The time is flying by, and although I know I'm being a bit dramatic, I feel like I'm going to blink my eyes and they'll be in high school.  So, for now I'll enjoy the snuggles, the "I love you's", the bedtime stories, playing catch, tea parties, the walks to the park, and oh so many things that bring joy to my daily life.  Nate and I are so blessed to have the family that we do.  We have so very much to be grateful for.

Nate and I both had Friday off work.  We ran errands all day long while the kids were at daycare.  Friday evening our company started to arrive.  Aunt Lori and Dave came for dinner and to help carve pumpkins.  Dave saved the day when he used his mad pumpkin carving skills to salvage a pumpkin that was not looking exactly as we had planned.  We had a great time with them and were so happy that they were able to come and spend some time with us.  We were especially happy since Grant was a bit overwhelmed on Saturday and wanted nothing to do with anybody except for me.  Around 10:00 Aunt Lisa, Uncle Brent, and their crew arrived.  Finally, after dealing with a blown out tire at 11 pm, Grandma and Grandpa arrived around 1:45 am after dropped Grandma Great off at her hotel. 

Saturday morning was a big day.  Not only did we have Grant's birthday party, but the Gophers won their football game.  Grandpa, Brent, and Daddy went to the game while all of us girls (as well as Zack and Reece) stayed back to get ready for the party.  It was a bit of a chaotic morning with going to get a new tire and running a few errands.  It didn't help that Grant cried unless I was carrying him with me.  Thankfully Ali volunteered to decorate 2 of Grant's 3 cakes (the 3rd one I ordered).  She did such an amazing job!  Grandma Great, Great Grandma, & Aunt Darlene joined us for lunch, and everybody else came around 4:30 for the party.  Other than Grant not wanting anything to do with anybody else besides me, I think the party was a success.  :)

This week will also be full of festivities.  Ava has a Halloween party at preschool tomorrow, and we'll go trick or treating on Thursday.  Friday we have rehearsal/dinner, and Saturday we get to help Uncle Wes and Aunt Janna celebrate their wedding day! 



Some of my favorite pictures from our photo shoot for Grant's 1 yr pictures/family pictures (taken by Angela Courtney Photography)






Grant has now outgrown his monthly pictures.  He is more interested in moving and eating the sign than anything else. 

Grant celebrated his birthday with his first (mini) cupcake

Pumpkin carving
Our high maintenance daughter refused to pull the guts out of the pumpkin
Grant just wanted to eat it (surprise, surprise)
Ali decorated the Gopher football helmet and Grant's "1" smash cake.  Very impressive!
Grant started by picking each little yellow dot off.  He finally got into it and didn't want to stop...
he even went digging in his trough for any accidental droppings
After the cake it was straight to the bath to get clean
Ava made sure to put Trusty her horse in the barn (her closet) at bedtime.  She also made sure he was covered up so he didn't get cold.  She cracks me up.

Ava riding Trusty.  Grandma brought Trusty up and gave her to Ava Saturday morning.  That child rode Trusty ALL weekend. 
When not riding Trusty, Ava took a ride on Uncle Brent with cousin Reece

No comments:

Post a Comment