Friday, January 11, 2013

Big girl underwear and finding thumbs

Yes, big girl underwear and finding thumbs have been the excitement of our week.  I know, it all sounds very exciting! 

As of Saturday morning, Ava has had only one accident and we honestly couldn't be more excited.  I write this as she is at preschool so I'm hoping that this trend has continued even though she is not at home.  For some reason, something clicked on Saturday and she decided not to fight us on using the potty.  Granted, she doesn't tell us when she has to go.  I've just been taking her every two hours and she goes.  As long as I don't have to buy any more diapers I don't care.  I tell myself that we'll eventually get to the point where she will just tell us and go herself.  Hopefully before she turns 3.

Grant has also been very busy.  He is not potty trained and had a huge blow-out this morning which required an early morning bath.  Other than that, he's been spending hours a day looking at his fist and trying to figure out how to get his thumb out from under his fingers and into his mouth.  It is hilarious watching him try to control his little hand.  It's not so hilarious when he gets frustrated and starts fussing because he can't get his thumb in his mouth.  I'm really hoping that once he masters the thumb into mouth motion that he'll be able to comfort himself and put himself back to sleep in the middle of the night.  Why is this so important you ask...because I'm going back to work in 4 days.  Yes, next Tuesday morning I'll be leaving my babies and going back to the hospital.  I am honestly dreading it.  I didn't necessarily want to go back to work after Ava was born, but I wasn't dreading it like I am today.  This 12 weeks has just gone by far to quickly.  I have to say that I am grateful that we have the sitter that we do.  Cyndi is great with Ava and I know that she will take good care of Grant as well.  I know that I would feel even worse if I had to leave him in an infant room with 7 other crying infants where he probably wouldn't get much attention.  I hope that they have a good day there on Tuesday.  Also, say a little prayer for Nate that morning.  It may be interesting to see what time he gets out the door after getting the two kids dressed and out the door by himself. 

We've been busy this past week.  Nate left on a work trip to Florida on Monday morning so Aunt Darlene and Great Grandma came up to stay with us.  It was nice to have some other people around to help with the kids and just so I wasn't home alone.  Yes, I'm 31 yrs old and I still don't like staying home alone at night with the kids.  It's reassuring to know that I have another set of hands here in case of an emergency.  Anyway, Monday afternoon Ava stayed home with Aunt Darlene and Great Grandma while I took Grant for his 2 month well baby check.  He weighed in at 16 lbs 5 oz and was 26 inches long.  That puts him in the 97th percentile for height and weight.  I'm kind of surprised that he wasn't off the charts.  He's 11 wks old and is starting to wear 9 month clothes.  He got 3 shots and of course cried afterwards.  He slept for the next 3 1/2 hours and then woke up cranky.  I gave him some tylenol, he fell back asleep, and was back to his happy self the next morning.  I'm sure his poor little legs were just sore.  I was so glad to have my happy little guy back!

Tuesday morning Ava and I went to our first ECFE class while Grant stayed home with Aunt Darlene and Great Grandma.  It was so nice to have time with just Ava.  A time where I didn't tell her that she had to wait because I had to do something with Grant.  She had a great time and I enjoyed it as well.  Unfortunately I work a lot of Tuesdays after returning to work so I won't get to go.  Ava will still go because Cyndi and her son are in the same class.

Today Ava is at preschool/daycare so Grant and I have been busy running errands and getting groceries for this weekend.  Sunday Grant will be baptized.  We are excited to see our family, and are so grateful to our good friends Lisa & Craig who are driving up from Kansas City so that they can be Grant's God Parents.  We are truly blessed with such amazing family and friends! 

I don't have time to upload pictures right now, but I promise my next post will have pictures.  I know that's really the only reason people look at the blog.  :)  Hope that you all have a wonderful weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment