Monday, June 4, 2012

Tantrums and a tummy

The title of this post is what's been going on in this house over the past week.  That is, a tummy for me and tantrums for Ava (ok, maybe I've had a couple of tantrums as well).  We'll start with the tummy...

No, I don't have any belly pictures to post.  I'll be honest, I think that I look better at this point in dim light rather than a bright flash drawing attention to my oddly proportioned body.  I had to break out the maternity clothes for the first time this past week.  Yes, I pulled on the ruched short sleeve shirt.  My mom and I went shopping a couple of weekends ago for maternity clothes while she was here.  I hate shopping for maternity clothes for so many reasons.  I must say that the top two reasons are
1. I hate spending money on clothes that I'm going to wear for only a few short months.
2. Why must everything have either ruching or the shirt ties in the back?!?  The ruching I have come to embrace because I have to.  The ties in the back, I just can't do it.  They scream "look at my belly  and let's accentuate my growing breasts while we're at it".  I don't need something to make me look more pregnant than I already am.  Granted, one would think that I would like to accentuate my growing breasts since I only have them for a few short months during my entire life.  However, I've also come to embrace the fact that I don't have boobs and am quite comfortable with it.  Still don't need the ties!

I feel as though the belly has expanded this weekend (I'm sure that the multiple cookie bars that I made and ate at work didn't help).  This means that I'm most likely going to have to bust out the maternity shorts.  Yep, the ones that don't have buttons or zippers, only a giant piece of stretchy fabric that goes up and over the belly.  Nothing makes you feel sexy like a pair or maternity pants. 

Now, on to the tantrums.  I have to say that today was tantrum free so I can't say that this is an everyday thing, but it has become quite frequent.  This is where I tell Ava that we have to go inside or do something that she obviously doesn't want to.  She'll bend over at the waist, squat down to the ground, and start yelling.  Now, I don't really acknowledge it much.  I just pick her up and go on, trying to explain why we must do something.  However, sometimes this is impossible.   For instance, the other night when she wanted to wear her clothes to bed rather than change her diaper and put her jammies on.  This was not just a tantrum, this was a full blown meltdown.  There was the kicking, screaming, pushing, and sobbing to point where I was fairly certain she was going to vomit.  After a mommy & daddy team effort we got the diaper changed, pjs on, and daddy got her calmed down.  I guess she did something similar to this at the cabin this past weekend for Mema & Boppa.  The thing is, the next minute she can be the sweetest little girl (the one that we are used to).  Perhaps it's because she senses a lot of change going on in our house.  I'm not sure, but the changes aren't going to stop anytime soon so I hope that she finds a better coping mechanism. 

No comments:

Post a Comment