Monday, July 26, 2010

Iowa

Thursday afternoon we were on our way to Iowa. I'm so glad that Nate was able to get off work early that day, as the storms in Iowa were pretty bad that night. It would not have been fun driving through them. Every trip that we go on our stops get shorter and shorter. I have now mastered the art of pumping in the car. To some people this may seem sick and wrong, but nobody knows what I'm doing with my little cover on. I just pray that Nate doesn't get in an accident while I'm doing it! It was nice to get down there in time for us to actually see my parents before Ava went to bed. Nate got to experience his first "town team" baseball game with Grandpa Becker Thursday night. I think the highlight was the fact that a beer cost only $2 there.

Friday morning Nate went off to play golf with a college friend of ours in Iowa City. Grandma, Ava, and I went to visit Grandma's work, and then went to see "Grandma Great" before heading to Cedar Rapids for some shopping and lunch. Ava was such a good girl (minus the massive blow-out that went up her back as we were ready to head into a store). That night we had lots of visitors. Ok, Ava had lots of visitors...Great Grandma Schutterle, Aunt Darlene, Auntie Lisa Peterson, Cousin Carl, and Aunt Marilyn came to say hello. Daddy grilled us some yummy kabobs, and Grandma made the most delicious sweet corn we've had in a very long time. Unfortunately we forgot to bring some home on Sunday!

Saturday Daddy and Ava went to the Benton County Fair with Grandma, Grandpa, and lots of other family members on Grandma's side. Ava got to see Aunt Angie, and cousins Jakob and Anna. From what I hear, Ava was an angel at the fair. I'm assuming it's because she was held and passed around, while receiving lots of hugs and kisses from everybody she saw. That evening we met up with my best friends from high school. We try to get together once a year. Last year was Kansas City, this year was Cedar Rapids. It was so much fun to see everybody, and get to meet all the new babies (three this year including Ava).

Sunday morning we went back to the county fair so that we could watch my cousins show their dogs. Sara won...Congrats!!! After that we hit the road! We stopped at Nana's on the way home and got to see Aunt Susan as well as Aunt Carolyn and Uncle Rick. We left there around 5:40, thinking that would give us just enough time to get home before Ava had to eat again. We got about 4 miles south of Owatonna, and came to an abrupt halt. It took us over an hour to go three miles. Ava was in tears, I was in tears, and Nate was just overly annoyed and frustrated. Not a good way to end such a good weekend! Ava received her first cold bottle in the car (from milk that I had previously pumped and was in the cooler). It's a good thing that she eats anything that we give her. We did finally make it home and we all crashed! A big thank you to Grandma & Grandpa for everything this weekend. We are so glad that we got to see you, and that you got to spend some time with Ava.

Ava eyeing the sheep. She seems a bit skeptical


Sara, Nate, Ava, & Melissa at the fair


Jakob, Anna, Grandpa, Grandma, & Ava


Ava & Grandma
Anna holding Ava My best friends from high school, "The Angels" Nikki, Lyndsey, Steph, me, Lisa, & Jenny.

Our "babies" Kylie, Ava, Bella, Harrison, & Vance

No comments:

Post a Comment