Sunday, March 30, 2014

Diarrhea, Vomit, a trip to IA, & a haircut

As you can see from the title of this post, it's been quite the week at the Veldman home.  I think that I posted last week that Ava threw up on Sunday.  She had done this the Wednesday before.  She has also had ongoing diarrhea for the past 2 1/2 weeks.  Well, I got a phone call at work Wednesday morning from our sitter saying that Ava had just thrown up on their way to The Blast (an indoor playground).  Of course she did this in our sitter's new minivan that they just got last week.  So, I left work early so I could take Ava to the Dr. since this had been going on for so long.  I was able to get a stool sample from her and was instructed to take it to Children's Hospital in St. Paul.  So, off we went to St. Paul before her doctor's appt.  As we're registering Ava informs me she has to go to the bathroom.  Sometimes I can't believe that something so awful smelling can come out of such a cute little thing.  After that we went to the lab to drop off her "specimen".  We're standing there and all of a sudden Ava vomits all over the floor.  I felt horrible.  The staff at Children's were so nice and accommodating.  They sent me home with a pink puke basin, and Ava got some stickers.  Then we were off to the pediatricians after a 20 minute nap.  He gave us some Zofran for the vomiting.  The cultures came back Friday...all negative.  So, I'm not sure what's been going on.  We've had her on a high starch (including white bread which she has never had), lactose free milk, no fruit, lots of yogurt, probiotics, and Kefir for the past 5 days.  I think today was the first day without diarrhea.  Hopefully she's on the mend!  And hopefully we can start reintroducing some of her regular foods like fruit.

The Dr. didn't recommend it, but Ava came into our room Thursday morning and said, "mommy, my tummy is all better.  Now I can go to IA".  I couldn't tell her no, since our last trip was cancelled due to the snowstorm.  So, we loaded up, and kept the pink basin next to the carseat with specific instructions to let me know if she felt like she had to throw up.  The kids did great on the way down there (and pretty good on the way home).  We made only 1 quick stop for gas and potty, and made it down there in 4 hours.  They had so much fun with everybody.  We had cousin Sara, Aunt Darlene, Great Grandma, Grandma Great, Aunt Lori, Dave, Grandma, & Grandpa all come visit.  Ava told Aunt Lisa that she wanted to move there.  She always has so much fun with her cousins. 

Friday I was able to go to my friend Erin's house while the kids stayed back.  I got to meet her new little man, Carter.  I could have snuggled him all day long.  My babies are growing up far to quickly.  Aunt Lisa took Ava to have lunch with cousin Reece at his big school.  She was so excited to get to go.  She's is so ready to go to 'big school" and start kindergarten.   Crazy to think that it's not that far away!  That afternoon we got to decorate Easter cookies.  Grant even got to take part in the fun.  I think his favorite part was eating one of his masterpieces. 

Saturday morning the kiddos stayed in their pj's and watched Frozen.  Ava was in heaven, and loved singing along to the songs.  She got a couple more games of Candyland & Chutes & Ladders in (Grandma Great got suckered into that) before we had to leave. 

This morning we headed to Ava's "salon" to get her haircut yet again.  Her hair grows faster than any other person I know.  I finally bit the bullet and got Grant his first haircut.  I didn't think that there was that much to cut off.  However, when they were done he looked 6 months older.  He's such a little man now.  A cute little man!

This afternoon we got to meet up with Nate's high school friends and their families.  We met up at "Uncle Brian's" house in St. Paul.  It was great to see everybody, and try to catch up while chasing Grant around the house.  We finished the day with a walk, and Ava riding her bike.  She loved riding her bike around the block.  Grant can't get enough of being outside.  I have a feeling that we'll be spending a lot of time outside this summer.  Glad we were able to enjoy the nice day.  Rumor has it that snow will be moving in on Tuesday.  So much for spring!    

 
Cutting out cookies
Grant loving his time with cousin Zacky
Decorating Easter cookies

Grant could not get enough of the "pup pup".  He would stand at the door hyperventilating, yelling "pup pup" until one of us would take him out.  And yes, that's a lovely deer leg that the dog is chewing on.  Good ol' country living. 
Enjoying one of his masterpieces

Cousins playing football
Erin, Carter, & myself
Frozen pj party
Grant was Not impressed with the cape they put on him.  He was better after we took it off...
the bubbles helped a little...
but the sucker did the trick
Oops, out of order; Grant decorating one of his cookies. 

No comments:

Post a Comment