Saturday, December 14, 2013

We had a great week, even though I'm not sure where all the time went. It started last weekend when we had nothing planned except a short outing with Ava on Sunday.  What an amazing feeling it was to have all of us home and nothing on the calendar.  That never happens! 

Saturday we went to the store, ran a few errands, and made some yummy food.  It was just a low key, relaxing day.  Sunday morning was very cold and snowy.  We decided to brave the elements and went to the zoo.  Daddy had never done the indoor part of the zoo, so it was fun that he could see it with us this time.  Ava took a short nap before I had to wake her to meet Mema in Hopkins at the Children's Theater to see Llama Llama Holiday drama.  Ava had never been to a movie or a show before.  She absolutely loved the musical.  She told me on the way home that she wanted to do that (be in a musical).  I have no doubt that someday she will be up on the stage doing some sort of drama/musical.  It was well worth the long drive due to the nasty roads. 

Thursday evening Ava had her preschool program.  Mema & Boppa came and had dinner at our house, and then came to the show with us.  You would have thought we were going to see Elton John...the place was packed with standing room only.  Thankfully we got there 30 minutes early so we could still at least get a seat.  The people in the front row must have been there an hour early.  It was fun to see all the kids dressed up, excited to perform for their families.  At the end they did a slide show of the kids from each class.  It definitely made me stop and reflect on how quickly Ava is growing up.  How she's become a little person of her own, doing things on her own, accomplishing things on her own.  We are very proud of her and look forward to all the things (ok, most of the things) that she has in store for us.  There is definitely a bit of sadness, which is difficult to describe.  I never understood why parents cried when their kids went off to kindergarten.  I never understood why it was difficult for parents to let their kids go off to college.  I now understand.  It took having kids of my own to understand.  As excited as I am for her, and I know that she is going to grow up to do great things...there is a part of me that will always think of her as my baby.  My baby who I want to protect from all the evil that there is out in the real world.  I do know however that this is impossible.  I know that she will make mistakes, which is a necessity in order to learn some things.  I have to trust her, and trust in God that she will make good decisions and be protected.  Oh wow...all of that came out from talking about a 45 minute preschool program.  I am going to be a mess when she leaves home.  :)

Speaking of growing up, Grant is on the move.  I would say that his primary mode of getting from point A to point B is now walking instead of crawling.  He has also graduated from bottles.  He had his last bottle a week ago Friday.  We now have a new bedtime routine that includes story time just like Ava.  The bottles are now packed up and moving on. 

This morning we woke up to fresh snow on the ground with flurries flying around.  The temps were finally above zero so I figured it was time to get the kids out to play in the snow.  This was Grant's first outing.  Between his snowsuit and his boots I think he was just trying to not fall over backwards.  I think he's to big for a snowsuit.  We went and got him snow pants after our outing.  He didn't love or hate the snow.  Ava had fun making snow angels, playing "snow monster" and shoveling with Daddy.

Tomorrow we head to Hollandale for the Veldman family Christmas.  We're excited to see Nana and everybody else.  Hoping that you're all enjoying your weekend and staying stress free during this busy season.     
Grant enjoying the zoo
Exhausted on the way home from the zoo
At Llama Llama Holiday Drama.  Thanks Mema for the tickets!

Our friend Cora's grandma made this scarf for Ava.  She absolutely loves it!!!
All ready for her Christmas program
I'm not sure what she's doing with her hands here.
Grant is super excited to go to the program too
Ava with her preschool class performing

 Ava's first snow angel of the season

 Grant's first time in the snow

 That's right, we put her to work.  Never to early to start.  :)

Ok, maybe Daddy helped a little

No comments:

Post a Comment