Monday, June 10, 2013

Girls weekend/Grant's surgery

As I mentioned in my last post, this past weekend was my girls weekend with my girlfriends from high school.  Everybody arrived Friday evening.  I was lucky enough to get to see Craig and Nick for a short time Friday evening when they dropped Lisa off.  He is quite the little man...so darn cute!  I loved the kisses, thanks Nick!  Nate stayed for dinner and then left with the kids around 7:30 and was off to the cabin after picking up Mema at her house.  I have to say, there was more than once that I almost shushed the girls, forgetting that we didn't have to be quiet because there were no sleeping children upstairs.  I had such an amazing weekend!  It was very low key with late night talks with wine, shopping, and some good food.  There are few things better in life than good friendships, and I feel so blessed to have had these ladies in my life for the past 18 years.  Thanks for making the trip ladies.  I'm already looking forward to our get together next year!

Nate and the kids got home Sunday afternoon.  Nate was exhausted.  :)  It sounds like they had a nice day outside on Saturday.  Ava's highlight was of course the doughnut that she got for breakfast on Sunday morning at the coffee shop. 

Today was Grant's surgery for his tubes.  For some reason I felt more anxious about it last night than I ever did with Ava's surgeries.  Once we got to the hospital I was fine.  I figured that the hardest part was going to be starving him in the morning.  He couldn't have any milk after 3:30 this morning, so I set my alarm for 3:00 and woke him up and fed him.  He was so confused as to why I was waking him.  He then chatted in his bed on and off for an hour.  So, needless to say I didn't get a lot of sleep last night.  I was up the first part of the night worried that I would shut off my alarm and he wouldn't get to eat, and then I was up all morning listening to him talk.  Anyway, we dropped Ava off at daycare at 6:50 this morning and were at the hospital by 7:30.  Our surgeon, Dr. Okner, arrived early and was able to get Grant's surgery started a little early which was great.  He was out of surgery before he was even scheduled to start.  The actual surgery went great.  The recovery was a bit rough however.  With Ava, she came out very calm both times.  With Grant, I heard him crying as they rolled him down the hall.  He bypassed the recovery room and came straight to us since his vitals and airway were stable in the OR.  My poor little man was so disoriented and restless.  He wouldn't open his eyes, he couldn't find his thumb, and he would nurse for a few seconds and then get restless again.  After about 20 minutes he fell asleep for a few minutes while I fed him.  I then had to wake him up so that we could put his clothes on to take him home.  He fell asleep on the way home, and by the time that we got home he was back to his normal self.  He actually fought sleep the rest of the day, but was very smiley.  He would not go down tonight so I rocked him to sleep.  I went up to get him out of the crib and he would lay his head on my shoulder, then look at me with his toothy smile that went ear to ear, and he kept doing it.  That little man just melts my heart with his smiles and giggles.  I'm so grateful that everything went well today and I hope that we no longer have to worry about ear infections.    

 
Nikki, Jenny, me, Lisa, & Steph

Our little man before surgery
Spending some time outside this afternoon.  Grant was all smiles.
Ava loves her sidewalk chalk.  If you can't tell, she is drawing a ladybug...next to the beetles that she drew.
We finally have grass and landscaping!
Love those little feet and toesies
Ava reading Grant a book.  It only has pictures in it, so I love to listen to Ava make up stories to go with the pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment