Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Mother's Day

I hope that you all had a wonderful Mother's Day. I had a great day. Unfortunately the kids were a little under the weather, but that didn't stop us from having a great day.  We were unsure of how it would start since I got home from work Saturday evening and Nate informed me that both of the kids had fevers.  So we decided we should cancel our date night (which was sad since we never get date nights) and stay in.  Saturday we decided to forgo church since both kids were coughing and had low grade fevers.  We figured the parents of other kids in the church nursery/Sunday school would appreciate that).  So we met up with Mema, Boppa, Uncle Wes, & Aunt Janna for brunch.  Of course the kids fell asleep on the way home which meant no real nap once we got home.  We went to Pahl's Market to look at hanging flower baskets.  Then we realized that we could get them for half the price at Home Depot.  This way when I kill them we will only be out half the money.  :)  We ended our day with a trip to the park, baths, dinner, and bedtime.  Oh, and Nate finished the day putting some stuff up on the walls of the playroom.  After 17 months of living here we thought we should probably start decorating and making it feel like our home.  It turned our really cute!

I have to say that this was my favorite Mother's Day thus far.  Maybe because the kids are getting a little older and more interactive.  Maybe it's because I got great gifts from the kids and my husband, including time to take a nice walk around the lake that morning by myself.  I got to take the time to reflect on how great it is to be a mom to these two kids, how much work it is, how rewarding it can be, how proud I am of them, how frustrated I can get with them, and how much pride I put into being a mom.  I've realized that Mother's Day is such an important day.  It's not like a birthday, which happens every year by default and I do nothing to deserve it except keep my heart beating for another 365 days.  Being a mom is something that I work hard at, something that I strive to be good at and improve on every day.  I definitely make mistakes, and know that I will in the future.  However, I try to learn from those mistakes, and make it a teaching moment for my children as well.

I was fortunate enough to grow up in a family that said, "I love you" a lot.  I always knew that I was loved, but never truly understood how much until I had children of my own. There are no words that could possibly convey what I feel for my children.  "Love" is the best that I can do, and I can only hope that they always know that it's much deeper than just a word. 

So yes, on this Mother's Day I was feeling quite blessed.  I hope that you were too!

A quick note about Grant's well child check last Friday (the day before he started running a fever and got a bad cough).  His pediatrician said he looks great!  His tubes are still in his ears and look good.  He is currently weighing in at a hefty 32 lbs 15 oz, and is 36 inches tall (4 lbs heavier and 1 1/2 inches taller than Ava was at this age).  Needless to say, he is off the charts in height, weight, and the circumference of that huge head.  I actually had to buy him a 4T shift at Target.  I think they need to adjust their sizes.
 
Here are a few from my real camera from Ava's story time.

Mother's Day

No comments:

Post a Comment